Friday, December 30, 2011

Mini Egg Bake/Quiche-Like Things

Okay...but really, I think I'll call these mini egg bakes.  Because, although they are quiche-like, they are missing the quiche crust AND I've found that there are many people who think they hate quiche and will therefore not try anything that even has the word quiche in it (my dad).  So, they are mini egg bakes in order to trick more people into trying them.  But really, they're super yummy!  And the combinations are literally endless with these little guys.  I made two different variations and I've got the recipe for each of these below.  One of the great things is that you can throw just about anything into these.  If you come up with some good combinations, be sure and post them in the comments!


Ingredients
Breakfast Burrito Mini Egg Bakes  (Yield: 12)
- 5 eggs
- 3 egg whites or 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup ground breakfast sausage, cooked (I used Jimmy Deans precooked for extra ease)
- 1/4 cup scallions
- 1/2 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- 4 teaspoons of your favorite hot sauce
   Side Note:  I used Taco Bell packaged hot sauces, which I realize is kind of funny and probably completely anti-culinary, but I have two good reasons: 1) The little sayings on the packages make me chuckle and 2) When we make actual breakfast burritos at home, I always put Taco Bell hot sauce on them.


Ham and Broccoli Mini Egg Bakes  (Yield: 12)
- 5 eggs
- 3 egg whites or 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup chopped up canadian bacon
- 1/2 cup colby jack cheese
- 1 cup broccoli
- dash of pepper

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 F.  Line regular sized muffin tin with foil cupcake liners.
  2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, and milk.
  3. Add all other ingredients listed to egg mixture and stir.
  4. Evenly divide the mixture between the 12 liners.  (I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup for this and it measured out perfectly).
  5. Bake in preheated oven until tops just start to brown, 30-35 minutes.  Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.

New Year's Resolution involve counting calories? They're about 90 calories each, which obviously varies with what you put in them.







The great thing about these is that you can keep them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or keep them frozen for a month.  Just microwave them for 30-60 seconds.



This is literally exactly what I ate for breakfast yesterday, times two.  Two of these egg bakes and little fruit are just enough breakfast for this girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment