Saturday, December 31, 2011

Martha Stewart's Glitter Ball Cookies

I'm a little premature with my January Martha Stewart Cookie Calendar cookie.  It's not quite January, but these cookies just screamed New Year's Eve to me.  The glittery look that the sanding sugar gives them makes me thinks of the big ball drop in Times Square.  I am not a huge fan of the fresh ginger, but I still like the cookies; my dad loves them, he's eaten three so far.  Fresh ginger is a matter of personal preference in the flavor department.  I might try them with ground ginger next time, just to see what difference there is.




Ingredients

- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- sanding sugar, in assorted colors
- Creamy Ginger Filling
     - 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
     - 2 teaspoons finely grated, peeled fresh ginger
     - 1 cup powdered sugar
     - 1 tablespoon honey

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Beat butter, powdered sugar, and salt with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.  Beat in vanilla.  Add flour and mix until just combined.
  3. Shape dough into 3/4 inch balls.  Roll each ball in sanding sugar and place on parchment-lined baking sheets, about 1 inch apart.
  4. Bake until edges are slightly golden brown or bottoms brown, about 15-18 minutes.  Rotate pans halfway through baking time.  Remove cookies from pan and let cook completely.
  5. Prepare Creamy Ginger Filling by mixing all ingredients together either by hand or with an electric mixer.
  6. When cookies have cooled, spread each with just enough filling to stick two cookies together.  Sandwich cookies together.




I hope you everyone has a safe and happy New Year! I'll probably be dropping some of these cookies into my belly while watching the ball drop tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment