Saturday, November 19, 2011

Tomato Tortellini Soup

I hate tomato soup. I think it's gross. I realize I may be alone in this, but it's the truth. I'll "eat" tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich, which is really just me dipping my grilled cheese sandwich in the tomato soup and then refusing to finish the soup.  However, there is a restaurant in town, right by work, that serves a delicious creamy tomato tortellini soup.  It is to die for.  They serve it with a garlicy, buttery bread and I'm in heaven.  So I went in search of this recipe on the internet.  Unfortunately, this is a local restaurant, so there aren't hundreds of people out there trying to recreate the recipe.  I finally found a recipe that looked like it might not taste like the tomato soup I loathe and decided to give it a whirl.  It. Is. Fabulous.

I've been cooking quite a bit lately and discovered that working with onions and garlic is my least favorite thing in the world (for now).  And everything I want to cook as at least one, if not both. I wasn't feeling well when I made this and the idea of having to both cut up onions and mince garlic was horrible, so I used garlic salt and powder, and stuck with the real onions.  I've got both garlic options listed for you in the ingredients though. So if mincing garlic is your idea of fun, go crazy.

 

Ingredients 
adapted from Creamy Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup
olive oil
2 garlic gloves, minced OR 1/4 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 small onion, chopped
2 (15 oz) cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
2 (10.75 oz) cans Campbell's tomato soup
2 soup cans full of milk
1 tbs dried basil
1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
3 tbs tomato paste
1/2 c half-and-half
1/4 c parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
1 (19 oz) bag frozen tortellini


Directions

1. Coat bottom of large pot with olive oil. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft.
2. Add diced tomatoes, tomato soup, milk, and basil.  Stir until combined.
3. Add chicken broth and tomato paste and stir until combined. Simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Add half-and-half and parmesan cheese. Stir until combined.
5. Add frozen tortellinis and cook until tender. At least 15 minutes.
6. Serve with parmesan cheese and your favorite bread (crunchy is best).


No comments:

Post a Comment